What specific Bible verses, both old and new testament, addresses the sins of homosexuallity?
The first and most important passage about homosexuality would have to be found in Deuteronomy 5:18 where God commands, “You shall not commit adultery.” The Biblical definition of adultery would be “having a sexual relationship with anyone to whom you are not married, in the eyes of God.” And though this is not the primary focus of your question, God did not and does not establish marriage between two members of the save gender. Marriage, by Biblical Definition, must be between one man and one woman. So the prohibition of sex outside of marriage would include homosexuality.
Specifically, in the Old Testament we find;
- Leviticus 18:22, 24 “You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination. . . . “Do not make yourselves unclean by any of these things, for by all these the nations I am driving out before you have become unclean.”
- Leviticus 20:13 “If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.”
- Genesis 18:16-19:28 The account of God’s judgement upon Sodom and Gomorrah. God condemns the ungodliness of these cities, the homosexuality is seen as an example of their sinfulness.
In the New Testament we find:
- Romans 1:26-17 “For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” Again the discussion is concerning ungodliness and wickedness. God “gave them up” allowed them to do what they desired against His will. This is specifically, sexual relations with other men, and the resulting problems in their own bodies.
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.” Again listed as among those things which God counts as sin. And though there is forgiveness for those who sin, we cannot choose to continue in sin by simply declaring that it is not sin.
- 1 Timothy 1:9-10 “. . . understanding this, that the law is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, enslavers, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine,”. Again, this passage clearly states homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of God. It is listed as one of the things done by the lawless and disobedient.
These are not the only passages which speak to homosexuality, but they are clear. It is a sin. Having said that, so are all the other things listed above by God that His people are to avoid.
Homosexuality is not THE sin it is a sin. Like all other sins, we are to struggle against it. We are to refrain from it. We are to confess it. We then are forgiven for it. “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Homosexuals are guilty of breaking the same commandment (the 6th) as those who have any sexual relation ship out side of marriage. They are no better and no worse.
We cannot choose to ignore our sin, whether it be homosexuality, greed, pornography, overeating, withholding forgiveness, gossip….all of these sins lead to our faith being compromises. They lead to our downfall, and they are not all the sins there are. Thanks be to God that regardless of the sins with which we struggle, Jesus promises to love us. In Him we can overcome our sinful behavior. We are still loved. Christ died for sinners. Just like you and me.